Review: Avon Skin So Soft – Mosquito Repellent
Quick Review: Avon’s Skin Soft is sold as a skin moisturiser, but it has the side effect of working as an effective mosquito repellent. I’ve been using it as a mossie repellent for years. I won’t be returning to the Deet products like Jungle Formula
I’ve always been prone to getting bitten alive by mosquitos. On a couple of occasions, I’ve had so many mossie bites it has ruined holidays. I’ve always used Deet-based repellents like Jungle Formula, which work well. However, they have a nasty smell and you have to be careful when applying near your eyes. Then, a few years back, a friend suggested using Avon’s Skin So Soft. I was very sceptical but gave it a go and haven’t looked back.
Does Avon Skin So Soft Repel Insects & Bugs
Yes, it does, and a surprisingly good job, especially considering it’s designed as a skin moisturiser and not an insect repellent.
Which is better Avon Skin So Soft or Jungle Formula
Before I discovered Skin So Soft, I used to always use the maximum strength Jungle Formula, which I found worked really well. The only downside was that it stinks and if you get it in your eyes or cuts it stings.
I would say that the Avon spray is just as effective as Jungle Formula in repelling mosquitoes. The big benefit of the Skin So Soft spray is that it has a nice smell and it doesn’t feel as chemically as Jungle Formula when you apply it to your skin.
Benefits of Avon Skin So Soft
- It smells nice – It has a lemon and floral smell, which is far more pleasant than many insect repellents.
- It repels mosquitos – It definitely works in repelling mosquitos. I’m not sure how effective it is against other insects and bugs, like midges.
- It’s good for your skin – At least, I assume it’s good for your skin as that is what it is designed for. When I apply the Skin So Soft, it does make my skin feel more moist (sorry for using that word), but I’m not sure I’ve had any long-term benefit. This is probably because I only use it when I need to repel mosquitos, not as a regular skin treatment.
Negatives of Avon Skin So Soft
- Regular application – With Jungle Formula I only needed to apply it once in the evening, and it kept the mossies away all night. With The Avon skin oil, I have to apply it on a more regular basis, maybe 2 or 3 times in an evening.
- Don’t miss areas on your skin – Unlike Jungle Formula which you don’t have to think too much when applying. With the Avon spray, you must make sure to apply it to all parts of exposed skin fully.
I think Jungle Formula must have something in it that mossies can smell and don’t like. Whereas the Avon spray doesn’t and only repels mossies where it is applied on the skin.
- Smells a bit like a granny – I quite like the smell, but there’s no doubt that its lemon and floral smell is something that a granny smells like. The smell does fade quite quickly, so it’s not a big issue
Conclusion: Review Avon Skin So Soft As A Mosquito Repellent
If you don’t like the typical mosquito repellents, like Jungle Formula, then I would say that it is worth giving the Avon Skin So Soft spray a go. It’s not particularly expensive, so if it doesn’t work for you won’t lose out too much. Even if it doesn’t work, you could use it for what it’s designed to do, keeping your skin moist (sorry for using that word again).
FAQ: Avon So Soft Skin As Mosquito Repellent
Where can I buy Avon Skin So Soft on the high street
The only high street shop that I’m aware of that sells Avon Skin So Soft is Superdrug. Find your nearest Superdrug
How to use Avon Skin So Soft for mosquitoes?
There is no special way on how to use Skin So soft to repel mosquitoes. Simply apply on all areas of your skin that you don’t want mosquito bites.
What is Avon Skin So Soft?
Avon Skin So Soft is a popular skincare product line offered by Avon, primarily known for its moisturising and softening properties.
What are the key ingredients in Avon Skin So Soft?
The ingredients may vary depending on the specific product, but common ingredients include jojoba oil, aloe vera, vitamin E, and other botanical extracts known for their skin-nourishing properties.
Can Avon Skin So Soft be used on the face?
There’s nothing to say that it can’t be used on the face. I have used it on my face without any problems. Obviously, avoid getting it in your eyes.
Is Avon Skin So Soft tested on animals?
Avon has been committed to cruelty-free practices, and many of their products, including Skin So Soft, are not tested on animals.
Can Avon Skin So Soft be used to repel bugs?
Yes, Avon Skin So Soft is known for its bug-repelling properties. I know for sure it works at keeping mosquitoes away. I’ve seen plenty of comments from other people claiming it repels many other bugs.